Pages

4/19/10

The Big 2-1



Well, it's finally my 21st birthday in 12 days (but who's counting)!

 21. Already. Sheesh.

I remember on my 15th birthday thinking about how 'far away' turning 18 would be, let alone 21. But 18 passed in the blink of an eye and now 21 is here as well. I don't know what's scarier; how much has happened in my life so far or how fast it all passed. Either way, it's scary!

Most 20 year olds turning 21 (that I know anyway) can't stop talking about being able to drink legally (and trust me-I'm looking forward to this myself) but over the last couple days I just can't stop thinking about all that has taken place in my short 21 years. Specifically the last year.With all the stress I've endured, I feel like I should have grey hair and wrinkly skin to show for it by now!  And I'm sure that is coming soon enough - ick!

This past year, for me, was probably the hardest year of my life. Well, how hard of a life can a 20 year old really have? I've debated about it for a while now and decided to go ahead and share a few intimate highlights of my life recapping the 20th year:
  • My (now ex) husband left me (Feburary 2009).
  • I became the sole supporter (single parent) of my son.
  • I left a church that was a HUGE part of  actually no, just was my life (October 2009).
  • I moved to Louisville from Virginia.
But on a more than fantastic note....
  • I met the man I love, admire, and adore.
Thinking back, it all seems kind of dreary. Honestly though, I'm so greatful for all the hard times because it's made me who I am today. Being able to find joy in the small things. Keeping my chin up and fighting to survive during times when all I want to do is give up hope. Gathering the strength to make hard decisions and follow through with them. Having more vigor and ambition flow in me than I ever thought possible. Being happy, even when life's circumstances tried to take that away from me. Loving deeply. Laughing tons. Truly, purely, enjoying my life. Just being me.

So, bring it on 2010/2011. Lets do it.

Cheers.

Love,
Nikki

P.S. More blog posts on Louisville and how things are going will be posted in the near future, I promise! :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment