Pages

8/5/11

Transformation

Transformation is something that occurs in every living organism. Whether it be from tadpole to frog, catapillar to butterfly, young baby to elderly person... its inevitable. For me, though, I've been blindsided by a completely unexpected kind of transformation.

It all started about a month after I arrive on the island and with my first trip to Roseau. I found myself wanting to go into stores just for the hell of it. Before, I'd only step foot in a store with a mental list ready so I could get out as soon as possible. And malls? Forget about it. I don't even remember the last time I've actually been inside a mall. But here, for some reason, I love to be in town going in and out of stores checking everything out.

I also noticed that I've been getting manicures and pedicures regularly. It may be due to the cheap price or the fact that I really need it here (darn hikes tearing up my nails), but I wasn't one to get my nails done except once in a blue moon.

And then there is tanning. Ah, I love it. Sunbathing with a book pool-side is just relaxing. In the States I could care less about a tan. Here, I try to go at least once or twice a week.

My clothing style has changed also. I happen to love sundresses now. They're so light, airy, and comfortable! I've never cared for them before, hence why I only brought ONE down here with me (stupid stupid stupid!). I find myself on target.com looking for cute dresses that I can't buy (too expensive to ship). If you ever saw me wearing a dress in America it was because there was a big occasion to do so.

Oh, and skin care! I've been obsessed with skin care recently. Avocado masks. Moisturizing. Researching and reading everything and anything natural that I can make down here to keep my skin healthy. Before? I could have cared less. I was on no regiment or schedule with anything regarding skin care.

And then there are bags. I'm falling in love with bags! Beach bags, totes, purses, market bags--every kind of bag! Coin purses also. I bought one from target and shipped it down here, but it broke within the first week. Since then I had to go hunt for a new, sturdy beach bag. The second one I bought down here broke also which deepened my bag-hunting enjoyment. Even though I am now the proud owner two nice multi-purpose totes, I still want more! And will always stop in a store if they have some "just to look". I may have a problem.

Styling my hair was not even part of my vocabulary back home. I'd either blow dry it right after I showered, or throw it up in a bun. That's it! But since I can't blow dry here (it's too hot to even desire to turn on a blow dryer) I've been coming up with creative ways to STYLE my hair without using heat. Scrunching and hair spray. Cute braids and ponytail combination's. Even tried the no-heat curl using a sock method! Yeah, youtube that. You'll be amazed, and it actually kind of works.

I guess what I'm trying to say is.... well, that my time in Dominica has transformed me. If I were to turn back in time and see my future self here, I'd laugh and say "no way, I'd never be like that". Alas, it happened. It seems that I've finally transitioned into a full-blown, sundress wearing, pedicure getting, bag loving, tan enjoying, store going GIRLY-GIRL. And, I'm going to embrace my new self.

1 comment:

  1. lol You're a trip girl! I've recently become partial to bubble baths myself. lol Never thought I'd get into that. Only trouble is I want a bigger tub now. ha!

    ReplyDelete