Pages

11/28/11

Thanksgiving, island style

Thanksgiving is always so much fun. I mean, it really doesn't get much better than an entire day devoted to food and family!!

Being on the island put a twist in Thanksgiving this year though. Here in Dominica you can't just hop in your car, go to a grocery store, load up, and go home and cook. It takes weeks of preparation and hour long drives to Roseau to look for ingredients. But I think that this year was so unique for me because I, yes, me... the cooking novice, was put in charge of the Turkey.

For days I stressed about the turkey and looked YouTube for any and all "how-to" videos. Thankfully my amazing friend Brianna offered to help me cook it (and by offer, I mean she basically did it all). Due to Medical school we had to push back our Turkey dinner to Saturday, so Brianna came over Friday to help me prep.

I squirmed as Brianna pulled out the guts, and fat. I felt faint-ish (yes, I'm a wimp) when she forced me to pull out the neck. But, at the end of it all, I learned how to prep and cook a turkey.

Obviously uncomfortable with my hand shoving butter in the turkey skin.

It ended up turning out great and all of our island family had an amazing Thanksgiving day feast. I'm going to miss these people when I leave. Only 17 days left...

0 comments:

Post a Comment