Pages

3/23/11

Oragami




"The goal of this art is to transform a flat sheet of material into a finished sculpture through folding and sculpting techniques."
  

I think we are all born like crisp, clean sheets of origami paper. As we mature, we fold and sculpt that sheet, working toward our masterpiece. We all strive to craft a wonderful design; the best possible we can make with our own hands. Sometimes we make mistakes and have to re-flatten the paper, undoing previous folds, leaving behind imperfect creases. As we refold and learn from mistakes, our technique becomes a little better and we carefully continue crafting our work.

Right now my sheet is worn with creases. It's been folded and re-flattened. It's been sculpted and undone. Sometimes I fear my paper is just going to end up a crumpled lump on the floor. Everyday, though, I continue to work and rework the folds in my life. I hope that one day my friends and family will look upon my life, see the simple sheet I started out as and marvel at how I transformed it into a beautiful masterpiece. Maybe some will even be able to look upon the creases and learn a thing or two.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice analogy. Sometimes I wish I was a paper airplane so I could fly away.

    ReplyDelete